forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5761  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Oct 3, 2001  2:12 pm
Subject:  Re: Sign-Symbol -Sequence here: variation

>Can you give me a hint - What does "variation" of any given sign mean ??
>Can you show an example ?

SignWriting List
October 3, 2001

Dear SW List and Stefan -
Thank you for this question.

Variations in SymbolBank refer to minute differences in symbol
construction...I have not listed any variations on the web yet,
because I am still busy just trying to do the GIFs for the most used
symbols, which are all variation one...the SymbolBank will expand as
time permits, and someday there will be variations listed as well.

I have my own terminology specific to SignWriting. I know others use
different terms...but for SignWriting, we use these term definitions:

1. a "symbol" is similar to one letter in the Roman alphabet (when
writing spoken languages). A symbol has no meaning, other than to
describe the way something looks or moves.

2. a "sign" - is like a "word" (when writing spoken languages)...A
sign is a "group of SW symbols"...just like a word is a group of
alphabetic letters....

so:

SymbolBank is only a listing of all the symbols in Sutton Movement
Writing... The Sign Symbol Sequence is not talking about "signs", but
instead "symbols". It is the order that the symbols are placed, when
sorting dictionaries in SignWriting.

In regards to the term "variation"...

Obviously signs can have variations, in different dialects of signed
languages...

But when using the term "variation" in SymbolBank, we are talking
about differences in the way one symbol is written...

For example, a variation of a hand symbol can be a tiny minute
difference in the amount of bending done...for example....take the
symbol that is used for the letter X in many fingerspelling
systems...imagine if we wanted to write a minute difference in the
way that handshape bent its finger...making one finger open more or
close more...those variations can be written in SignWriting, but they
are more for researchers, and so I will add them last to the
SymbolBank...

Sorry for my long response!

I am done over 1000 gifs this week, and I get dizzy from it - ha!

Val ;-)

  Message 5761  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index