forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1247  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Wayne H. Smith"
Date:  Wed May 12, 1999  7:19 am
Subject:  Re: Color Coding SW Symbols

Valerie wrote:

>That's interesting, Wayne. How does a person who is "auditorily oriented"
>function in the world of signed languages? Somehow you are absorbing the
>visual, or you wouldn't understand signers. That must be quite hard ....

Well, that's been my problem all along. I have always had problems becoming
*good at* signs (ASL and Taiwan SL). I can communicate OK with them, and I
do a really good job at teaching beginning level classes in ASL because I
have a tremendous grasp of the grammar (being a Ph.D. in sign linguistics
helps), but I just never feel completely comfortable with rapid signing.
However, with spoken languages it's different. My forte is pronunciation.
I don't know. The Universe gives each of us a slightly different set of
perceptual tools, and happen to have a good set of auditory ones.

- Wayne

  Message 1247  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index