forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1262  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 13, 1999  3:26 pm
Subject:  Welcome New Italian Members!

May 13, 1999

I would like to welcome a team of Italian researchers who have just joined
the SignWriting List. Six new members have been added, and we of course
would all love to learn about your research with writing Italian Sign
Language! So please write to introduce yourselves :-)

Years ago, Marco Consolati, from Torino, Italy, helped me create the
Italian version of the SignWriter Computer Program. I know that his group
used SignWriter for awhile. He apparently translated one of the SignWriter
manuals into Italian, but I have never seen the manual. So I hope we can
contact Marco for a copy - not only do I hope it will benefit the research
in Rome, but I would like to see it myself!!

Here is some historic background about SignWriting in Italy:

Marco and Maddalena Consolati, from the Cooperativa DIRE in Torino, Italy,
began working with SignWriter in 1991. In 1992, the SignWriter computer
program was distributed to approximately 30 signers in Italy. A research
group consisting of teachers of the Deaf, linguists and interpreters,
worked on creating an Italian Sign Language dictionary in the computer.
Group members included Marco & Maddalena Consolati, and others from the
Cooperativa DIRE organization. Announcements were made about SignWriting to
the Italian Deaf Community through their newsletter "SBALORDIRE" and on RAI
Televideo (Italian National TV Network).

We do have a web page about SignWriting in Italy, but it needs to be updated:

SignWriting In Italy
https://www.SignWriting.org/sw107.html

I believe we can contact Marco at this email address:

Marco Consolati
Cooperativa D.I.R.E.

In May, 1996, Marco Consolati linked our SignWriting Web Site,
www.SignWriting.org, to the following:

Italian Area Sordi
https://www.mclink.it/mclink/sordi/pub.htm

Cooperativa DIRE
https://www.arpnet.it/~dire

Associazione Documenta
https://www.arpnet.it/~docum

I don't think Marco even knows about the SignWriting List! So perhaps it is
time for me to write to him...it will be great to be in touch again!

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1262  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index