forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1261  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Lois L.Van Broekhoven"
Date:  Thu May 13, 1999  1:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Color Coding SW Symbols

Lourdes,
It is great to see you on this listing. It has been a long time since we saw
you and you family. How are you all doing? How is Sabrina? The girls miss her
and still talk about how we went to a restaurant together and they could sit at
a separate table. Give us a call sometime and we can get together. Summer is
coming soon and the kids will have some free time.
Lois and Yassy

Lourdes Tollette wrote:

> [Lourdes Tollette] Val wrote:
> So I am writing to ask members of the SW List what you all think....
>
> First to give you some background...
>
> The color coding chart is located at the bottom of this web page:
>
> Color Coding of SW Symbols
> https://www.SignWriting.org/learn002.html
>
> You will see that I chose"
>
> Face.....green
> hands....blue
> movement....red
> contact....pink
> punctuation...yellow
> body & arms.....black
>
> There is actually a logic attached to those choices. Movement is "action"
> and so it is "red". Green is a warm color, and so facial expressions are
> green. And the hands are "mercurial" - in mythology, Mercury was the great
> "communicator" - and mercury is a "silvery blue" color, so since the hands
> communicate so much in signed languages, I chose blue for the hands. And I
> chose yellow for punctuation, because in the USA, road signs are yellow.
> Puncutation is like a "stop sign", the punctuation symbols tell you to
> stop, pause etc. And like stick figures, the body and arms are black
> lines. So I tried to use colors that some people can "relate to".
>
> You can see this color coding used on these three web pages:
>
> Learn To Read lesson
> https://www.SignWriting.org/learn005.html
>
> https://www.SignWriting.org/learn006.html
>
> https://www.SignWriting.org/learn007.html
>
> So here are my questions to the SW List...
>
> 1. Do you feel that color coding of SignWriting symbols is a good idea?
> Does it help to learn the SW symbols? [Lourdes Tollette] The color coding
> are great idea for the children to start to learn or adult who being to
> learn and it would be better to use color coding.
>
> 2. Were my choices of colors logical to you? Or would you have chosen
> different colors? [Lourdes Tollette] Well, I am adult and I might choose
> to stay with black because I already understand signwriting. If I am new
> and I would've take color coding.
>
> One person suggested that we put the color coding in our dictionaries.
> Another person suggested that the actual children's stories should be
> written in color coding. Right now they are in one solid color, as on this
> page:
>
> Goldilocks, Intermediate
> https://www.SignWriting.org/gold001.html
>
> 3. So do you all feel that the stories themselves, or our dictionaries,
> should be color coded? [Lourdes Tollette] Well, Not all but if the
> stories and dictionaries are for the children then I think it would good
> idea to use color coding.
> For example: It is was for beignner use color colding only. Intermediate is
> for black (people who already know signwriting)
>
> I appreciate your time and input everyone!
>
> Many thanks -
>
> Valerie :-)

> Valerie Sutton
>
> SignWriting

> [...]

  Replies Author Date
1262 Welcome New Italian Members! Valerie Sutton Thu  5/13/1999

  Message 1261  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index