forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1243  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  "Wayne H. Smith"
Date:  Tue May 11, 1999  11:04 pm
Subject:  Re: Color Coding SW Symbols

Valerie -
For what it's worth, here's my 2 cents worth:

>1. Do you feel that color coding of SignWriting symbols is a good idea?
>Does it help to learn the SW symbols?

I'm not visually oriented - I'm very much auditorily oriented - so
color coding would be lost on me. But it wouldn't bother me if it were
color coded. For those of you who are sensitive to color, and perhaps
especially for children, it might be a very good idea. I think the only way
to learn the SW symbols is to read them and use them a lot. Don't know if
it would help anyone learn them per se.

>2. Were my choices of colors logical to you? Or would you have chosen
>different colors?

Again, I'm not the one to answer that one. I guess I'm used to seeing
punctuation black, so the idea of yellow seems odd. Yes, warning signs are
yellow, but the words on them are black.

>One person suggested that we put the color coding in our dictionaries.
>Another person suggested that the actual children's stories should be
>written in color coding. Right now they are in one solid color, as on this
>page:
>
>Goldilocks, Intermediate
>https://www.SignWriting.org/gold001.html
>
>3. So do you all feel that the stories themselves, or our dictionaries,
>should be color coded?

I think I would just do it for the children's stories. But then that's
just one opinion. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.

- Wayne Smith (in Taiwan)
P.S. If anyone is interested in what I'm doing here, I have a web page with
pictures at:
www.a-tech.net/WayneSmith/
I mention SignWriting in one of my updates included on the site.

  Replies Author Date
1246 Re: Color Coding SW Symbols Valerie Sutton Tue  5/11/1999
1249 Re: Color Coding SW Symbols Joe Martin Wed  5/12/1999

  Message 1243  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index