Independent SWriter's Forum Directory

English Translation
A Giraffe Named Ivan
by Nancy Romero

A funny thing happened yesterday, where I work as a Monorail Guide at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. My passengers and I were riding along on the Monorail, enjoying the sights, when we went around a turn and saw a giraffe named Ivan, standing right next to the fence, leaning over it. Ivan had picked up a shoe, and the shoe was now dangling from Ivan's mouth by the shoestring! Then, Ivan dropped the shoe, just onto the other side of the fence.It looked as though Ivan was now searching for the shoe. I contacted and informed my Lead at Simba Station of this, asking permission to disembark the Monorail so that I could go and get the shoe before Ivan could find it. My Lead radioed back and said okay, but do be careful, and don't get too close to that giraffe. I responded with 10/4. So then, I climbed down the Monorail ladder to the ground, while all my passengers watched closely. So there stood Ivan, right near the fence. It would be very dangerous for me to approach the fence now, since giraffe can swing their heads likeee a wrecking ball. So, what did we do? Well, I stood at a safe distance from Ivan, and I waited. And waited. Ivan and I actually had a staring contest... And then, Ivan turned around, and stared at me over his left shoulder!! After what seemed like five minutes of waiting, success! Ivan the giraffe made his way down a hill; he seemed so stately and grand. Whew! Now I could go run and grab the shoe. When I picked it up, my passengers applauded, and I, suprised, took a dramatic bow. That's the end of my story; smile!

Giraffe Named Ivan, p.1

Giraffe Named Ivan, p.2

Giraffe Named Ivan, p.3

About the Author
Nancy Romero

Nancy Romero is a native Californian, having graduated from California State University in Long Beach, with a Bachelor's Degree in Dance. Nancy danced professionally for several years, and became the first person to receive teaching certificates in both Sutton DanceWriting and Sutton SignWriting in 1975. Nancy is listed in the World Who's Who of Women, noted for "Sign Language Journalism". As the Founding Editor of the SignWriter Newspaper, Nancy was the first person to write the entire newspaper in SignWriting, by hand with ink pens, before the advent of the SignWriter Computer Program. Her pioneering efforts made the historic newspaper possible.

Nancy received her degree in Interpreting for the Deaf from San Diego Mesa College, and has been a freelance interpreter since 1983. Nancy enjoyed working at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, where she guided monorail and photo safari tours for over 8 years, and also interpreted tours in ASL for Deaf guests there. Nancy lives in Poway, near San Diego, with her son Gary.

Giraffe Named Ivan, p.1

Giraffe Named Ivan, p.2

Giraffe Named Ivan, p.3

Independent SWriter's Forum Directory