forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 5581  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Bill Reese
Date:  Tue Aug 28, 2001  3:35 am
Subject:  Re: Arabian Sign Language

I was curious to see what a web search would turn up... here's an Arabic Sign
Language page:
https://www.dd2000.4mg.com/

Another page with an interesting discussion about arabic SL in 1996:
https://www.emich.edu/~linguist/issues/7/7-1131.html

Here's a bibliography page (boring but might be interesting to some):
https://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/Bibweb/Bibliography.html
Starting here:
https://www.sign-lang.uni-hamburg.de/Bibweb/F-Keywords.html
You can search through for works on whatever you are looking for. I found
references for papers for Jordanian Sign Language, Arabic Sign Language, Iran
.... then I stopped. These are just references - not the works themselves.
It does, however, indicate that there ARE some studies out there.

Kurdish SL:
https://www.gospelcom.net/meco/crossroads/oct00/signlang.html

A Unified Arabic Sign Language? Interesting Article:
https://uaeinteract.com/uaeint_main/newsreport/19990418.htm#EXPERTS CREATE
UNIFIED ARABIC SIGN LANGUAGE

Bill

"Angus B. Grieve-Smith" wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Valerie Sutton wrote:
>
> > It made me think of the differences between Danish and Norwegian...Why
> > can a Dane have a conversation with a Norwegian, without changing
> > their language, and still understand each other? Some can do it better
> > than others though, so I guess there is some flexibility involved with
> > the two who are communicating....
>
> Well, this gets us a little off-topic, but there's been an
> interesting discussion on the Sign Language Linguistics List related to
> this topic.
>
> Danish and Norwegian are fairly close, but beyond that, my
> understanding is that the standard Norwegian (also called Bokmal) that is
> taught in schools is not actually Norwegian, but Danish! In the past
> century, there has been a movement to replace Bokmal with a mixture of
> Norwegian dialects, called Nynorsk. I think that most Norwegians can
> write in both Bokmal and Nynorsk.
>
> > Teachers oftentimes just work with the "day to day" communication and
> > leave such analysis to the researchers....
>
> In my experience, teachers sometimes spend more time criticizing
> students for not conforming to a standard than letting students express
> themselves. I should say that Cecelia, Lorraine and Kate haven't been
> that way!
>
> > Is there any published research on the signed languages of the Arabic
> > Nations?
>
> My friend and colleague Dan Parvaz mentioned a book on Tunisian
> Sign Language. He's been to Jordan and collected some data on Jordanian
> Sign Language, but I don't think he's published any of his findings yet.
> I can ask him about it.
>
> --
> -Angus B. Grieve-Smith
> Linguistics Department
> University of New Mexico

  Replies Author Date
5583 Re: Arabian Sign Language mohamed mahmod Tue  8/28/2001
5588 Re: Arabian Sign Language Valerie Sutton Fri  8/31/2001
5589 Re: Arabian Sign Language Valerie Sutton Fri  8/31/2001

  Message 5581  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index