forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 4101  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ronald Zapien
Date:  Thu Nov 2, 2000  2:39 pm
Subject:  Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf

I would suggest that you send this general message to the following list:

These folks are mostly parents, some experts and some deaf individuals who spend
copious amounts of time fighting for their childrens rights to have
a free and appropriate public education here in the states. The parents that
have decided on giving their children a signing environment often know of
information and studies which would be useful to you. The bottom line is just
plain common sense. Children need advanced language models in order to become
mature language users. The name and modality of the language is immaterial.
Many interpreters are not mature language models. You find your best mature
language models in the Deaf community--period. Moreover, the interpreter will
not address the things peers learn from peers--and from their mistakes. Nor
will
the interpreter address the isolation kids feel when in a completely hearing
environment. Part of growing up is having your little secrets between your
friends. That's hard to do with a terp involved. My own opinion is that you
need to address this from a child development point of view, a language
learning
point of view and an educational theory point of view.

If you try to get touchy feely, you know, talking about emotional needs and
social needs, the bureaucrats will shut you off. If, however, you can
successfully show these individuals that these children are growing up in an
information vacuum; that their language skills are diminished because of lack of
contact with mature language models--you might get somewhere. The studies for
this kind of stuff are widely available vis-a-vis spoken language.

Off my soapbox,

Cheryl

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> On 11/1/00, Ingvild Roald wrote:
> >The Norwegian policy of giving the deaf children a right to a sign language
> >education, is interpreted by the beuraucrats to mean that an interpeter in
> >class and sign language instruction for the parent will fullfill the childs
> >need for a signing environment, and fill the social and emotinal needs.We in
> >the 'know' desperately need reseach or authoritaive statements to support
> >our claim that Deaf children need to meet with other DEaf children and
> >adults in order to develop to their full potential. Can any of you give me
> >any leads? Ingvild <
>
> SignWriting List
> November 2, 2000
>
> Dear SW List, and Ingvild!
>
> Thanks for this message...I am concerned that we have become so
> focused on learning how to use the SW Fingerspelling Fonts, that we
> will forget your special request...
>
> Is there anyone on the List who can help Ingvild?
>
> Do you know of any research that shows that Deaf children need
> contact with other Deaf children to be happy?
> --
>
> Val ;-)
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Valerie Sutton
>

> Visit the SignWritingSite:
> https://www.SignWriting.org

  Replies Author Date
4105 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Nancy Cole Thu  11/2/2000
4107 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Valerie Sutton Thu  11/2/2000
4106 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Robin Homesley Thu  11/2/2000
4109 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Valerie Sutton Fri  11/3/2000
4110 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Dawn McReynolds Fri  11/3/2000
4113 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Mary Laughlin Fri  11/3/2000
4115 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Valerie Sutton Fri  11/3/2000
4118 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Ingvild Roald Sat  11/4/2000
4120 Re: research about Deaf needing contact with Deaf Ronald Zapien Sat  11/4/2000

  Message 4101  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index