forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1862  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Sep 29, 1999  8:21 pm
Subject:  Question About Epson Printers

To: SignWriting List
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 23:38:58 -0400
From: Ronald H Dettloff

Dear Valerie,

I was wondering which Epson printers would work with SW so that I can
look for some used ones for our SignBible project.

Pastor Ronald & Judith Dettloff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Ron -
I am posting my answer to the SignWriting List, since some people may have
the same question...

SignWriter 4.3 is an older piece of software, and back when we wrote the
program, the world was different. At that time, Epson was world-famous for
having "dot-matrix" printers ...remember those old printers?!...

So in SignWriter 4.3, there is a place to "Setup" your printer. SignWriter
4.3 lists three printer choices:

Epson Mode
Hewlett Packard Mode
Postscript Mode

"Epson Mode" refers to "dot-matrix" mode. Today, Epson makes ALL kinds of
wonderful printers, including ink jet printers and Postscript Laser
Printers. But in SignWriter 4.3, the term Epson equals "dot-matrix".

So...the real answer is this....

Laser "Postscript" printers work the best with SignWriter 4.3. You can buy
an Epson Laser Printer, or any other brand name is fine too. But the first
choice for smooth printing is a Postscript printer. That is "Postscript
Mode".

ColumnMaker, for example, MUST be used on a Laser Printer...so I strongly
suggest a laser printer.

Hewlett-Packard Laser Printers are not always Postscript printers, but they
are fine too - they run on "Hewlett-Packard Mode".

The third choice is any "dot-matrix" printer. But with a dot-matrix
printer, you will not be able to print the 7 print formats, only one format
is available in dot-matrix. So dot matrix printing with SignWriter 4.3 is
very limited.

And ink-jet printers are a weird "in-between" problem. Some of them work
well, especially if they can emulate postscript. But not all of them do
work with SignWriter. Why? Because ink jet printers were improved greatly
in the past few years, and back when we designed SignWriter 4.3 they were
not used as much as they are now - ... we did not spend a great deal of
money developing special printer drivers for ink jet printers.

So it is not a question of looking for an Epson printer...instead the
question is...Is it a Laser printer or not? :-)

I guess you need to read the manual before you buy any printer to make sure
one of the three modes are supported...

Good luck with choosing printers...and write again if you have questions or
problems -
Valerie ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Sutton

SignWritingSite...Lessons Online
https://www.SignWriting.org

SignBankSite...Databases Online
https://www.SignBank.org

Deaf Action Committee For SignWriting

1866 Re: Question About Epson Printers James Womack Thu  9/30/1999
1867 Re: Question About Epson Printers Angus B. Grieve-Smith Thu  9/30/1999
1869 Re: Question About Epson Printers Valerie Sutton Thu  9/30/1999
1868 Re: Question About Epson Printers Valerie Sutton Thu  9/30/1999
1873 Re: Question About Epson Printers James Womack Fri  10/1/1999
1877 Re: Question About Epson Printers Greg Noel Fri  10/1/1999
1880 Re: Question About Epson Printers Ronald H Dettloff Sat  10/2/1999
1892 Gifts from around the world... Valerie Sutton Tue  10/5/1999
1881 Re: Question About Epson Printers Ronald H Dettloff Sat  10/2/1999

  Message 1862  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index