forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1661  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Delora Parks
Date:  Mon Aug 16, 1999  5:11 am
Subject:  Re: How many signers in the world?

In a message dated 8/16/99 1:09:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

<< How many people in the world (both Deaf and hearing) use a signed language?
Does anyone know the current statistics?

I am writing a report to a foundation, and I need the statistic for the
report....

A long time ago I read that approximately 2% of the world's population uses
a signed language, but I wonder if that is true? >>

I don't know any statistics, but do you mean use a signed language as their
primary language? Be fluent in a signed language? Or have some skill in a
signed language? I think the statistics for all 3 would be drastically
different.

Delora Parks

  Replies Author Date
1662 Re: How many signers in the world? Valerie Sutton Mon  8/16/1999

  Message 1661  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index