forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1588  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Ingvild Kristine Roald
Date:  Tue Jul 27, 1999  3:21 pm
Subject:  Re: Using SignWriting to Teach Math

Hi all,

Valerie wrote

> I believe Ingvild Roald, in Norway, taught science to her Deaf students,
> using SignWriting, and perhaps math? I am not sure....

with the first classes, who also became my deaf committee regarding
SignWriting, we used SignWriting to preserve the new signs that we
agreed upon. For later classes, it has been used not exactly to teach
science and math (i would have loved to do that, but the time is not
yet ripe...) but to give the sign terms for math words and science
words, so that the students could really feel that their own language
was appreciated. Once, in a class with half the students HH, and not
well versed in sign, and the other half Deaf and signing, one of the
speaking students told me: 'This is not a sin language lesson!' and I
replied: 'No, but I have already written the Norwegian word on the
blackboard, and of course I have to write the NSL sign as well' and I
saw the light shining in the Deaf students. They felt they were taken
seriously.

So this is what I have done,

Ingvild Roald, Bergen, Norway

Ingvild Kristine Roald
Reseach fellow, Department of Applied Education
University of Bergen, N-5020 BERGEN, Norway
e-mail:
Department phone: +47 55 58 48 30
Department fax: +47 55 58 48 80
Private phone: +47 55 28 34 34

  Replies Author Date
1589 Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Fri  7/30/1999
1590 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Susanne Bentele Fri  7/30/1999
1595 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Fri  7/30/1999
1592 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Ingvild Kristine Roald Fri  7/30/1999
1605 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Sat  7/31/1999
1598 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  7/30/1999
1619 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Valerie Sutton Tue  8/3/1999
1620 SW List Self-Serve Commands Valerie Sutton Tue  8/3/1999
1599 Re: Acronyms for Signed Languages Angus B. Grieve-Smith Fri  7/30/1999

  Message 1588  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index