forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1561  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sun Jul 4, 1999  1:34 am
Subject:  SignWriting on the Macintosh

>Sorry I'm one of those die-hards who doesn't use Windows (well I do at work
>because they pay to :-) I prefer to use a Mac or a Linux machine---in
>rising order of that preference. However, I usually only have a console
>session running rather than X so the use of other fonts won't help me with
>SignWriting enriched messages. But when SignWriting 5 is released and
>Unicode is extended with the approrpirate glyphs I could be persuaded to
>change the habits of a lifetime.
>Regards, Trevor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello Trevor -

Yes...I know you are a Macintosh person. You and I share that trait. You
couldn't drag me kicking or screaming from my Macintosh....

And I use SignWriter 4.3 for MS-DOS on my Macintosh with a built-in PC card
- it seems to work well. I toggle back and forth between the Mac and MS-DOS
in one computer. And I can do Macintosh screen captures of Windows and
Ms-DOS files, which is kind of neat. The MacShare software between the two
operating systems is outstanding.

I also resisted using Microsoft Word, whether it was the Mac version or the
Windows version, and I didn't want to buy it, but I had no choice because
people kept sending me attached files all the time and they assumed I owned
and could read Microsoft Word files. Sometimes I could, and sometimes I
couldn't, depending on the Mac translators and the versions etc., so....
even though the Macintosh version of Microsoft Word costs around $400, I
finally gave in and got it because I was holding SignWriting back by
frustrating everyone.

And let me share with you a nice outcome of that purchase...because I now
have Microsoft Word on my Macintosh, I am able to edit the Brazilian Sign
Language Dictionary, which is written in SignWriting. Dr. Fernando
Capovilla, from the University of Sao Paulo, is heading the dictionary
team. Fernando is a member of the SW List. He sends me one page of the
Microsoft Word document (Windows doc) to me as an attached file. I access
the page on the Mac, edit and improve the SignWriting, and return the page
to him through email, and he can read it and open my changes in his Windows
version. We are hoping to edit all the pages of their dictionary this way -
it the best experience I have had with years of editing dictionaries - a
wonderful way to work. So the Mac version of Microsoft Word reads Windows
files and vice versa. And I believe there are other programs that are
similarly cross-platform, and of course, SignWriter 5.0 will be able to
share files between the Mac and Windows too - and it should be OK with Unix
too...at least....I hope so :-)

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1561  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index