forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1285  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Sat May 15, 1999  10:31 pm
Subject:  Re: Color Coding SW Symbols

Darline Clark-Gunsauls wrote:
>It is interesting to hear from you all about the color coding for Sign
>Writing. If you are aware of Monesstori theory how to teach children to
>read English, they use big red circle represents (I forgot which one)
>however for example Big red circle represents verbs, blue triangle
>represents subject, it has different shapes and colors to represents each
>in the sentence of English. It is helpful for children to read English
>easier.
>
>Now that applies to Sign Writing and ASL, I think it is important for
>children to learn each coloring codes to help them reading ASL better and
>know the rules of ASL.
>
>Thanks,
>Darline

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Darline!
Nice to see you online! What a great message :-)

I did not realize that children are taught to read and write English with
color coding in the Montessori Schools...that is good to know. So I agree
with you, that we should continue experimenting with color in the SW
children's books. It can't hurt to try!

Maybe it has to do with linguistics and education. From a linguistic point
of view, color coding is not necessary. In fact it can be an unnecessary
distraction, when it comes to linguistic research, or when fluent readers
are reading a novel :-)

But teachers of ASL, or teachers of Deaf children, may see color coding in
a different light. It can become a tool to help beginners become inspired
to learn to read. It can also help teachers and students focus on certain
symbols for study purposes. For example, Darline has a degree in Child
Development from Gallaudet, and teaches ASL on a regular basis. So when
Darline told me that she felt the color coding was important, I decided to
go ahead with it, because I know she has experience with children.

And maybe it is different looking at a few pages on the web. I think the
color is more exciting in a book. When you read a page with color, the
facial expressions seem to jump out at you - almost like they come alive....

Valerie :-)

Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Message 1285  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index