forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1265  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Thu May 13, 1999  5:12 pm
Subject:  SW Workbook based on Signing Naturally

On May 13, 99, Wayne H. Smith wrote:

>Valerie -
> I'm progressing fairly well with the SW symbols, and I'm dreaming up
>all sorts of incredible ways of using them. As an example, I'm teaching a
>short course in teaching techniques to Deaf signers here in Taiwan who are
>involved in teaching TSL to hearing people. I'm using ASL as an example
>language so as to put the teachers in the place of their students. I'm using
>the Signing Naturally curriculum, which I was trained in at a workshop in
>Maine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Wayne!
Thanks for your message and I promise I will answer the technical question
shortly. Before I forget, I notice that you mention the Signing Naturally
curriculum above.

Several years ago I developed a workbook for teaching people to read and
write in ASL, but I based that workbook on the Signing Naturally videotape
for beginning signers.

That workbook is now out of date because the SW symbols themselves changed
and improved since the workbook was designed. But I was thinking last night
that maybe I should "revive" that workbook? Do you think that would be
useful to you?

Essentially, all the vocabulary introduced on the Signing Naturally
videotape is either written in SignWriting or the students are given a
place to try to write it themselves.

To use the SignWriting workbook, you would have to refer to the Signing
Naturally videotape, which is sold by DawnSignPress.

If you feel such a workbook would be useful, I can update it.

Just wanted to ask all of your opinions about this idea ....

Valerie :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton

SignWriting

https://www.SignWriting.org

The DAC, Deaf Action Committee for SW
Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA

  Replies Author Date
1266 Re: SW Workbook based on Signing Naturally Joe Martin Thu  5/13/1999
1269 Re: SW Workbook based on Signing Naturally Valerie Sutton Thu  5/13/1999

  Message 1265  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index