forum SignWriting List Forum
  Message 1054  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index
From:  Valerie Sutton
Date:  Wed Feb 17, 1999  2:42 pm
Subject:  Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program

> Yesterday a Deaf Japanese friend showed me how to use the "other character editor" function, and we drew a SW face. This was treated in the text of our word processor just like any other Kanji (Chinese character), fully scalable, you could make it bold or italic, whatever. This is not SignWriting, but it is something anyway.
> Mark Penner
> Tokyo, Japan

Wow -Mark - this is great. Can you enter other symbols too? Can you create an entire sign as "one symbol"...in other words...two hand symbols, two movement symbols and a facial expression as "one character"? If so, then it might be closer to real SignWriting. Especially if those "characters" can then be placed down in vertical columns. This may turn into something rather useful for people in other countries too.

How many characters can you create and store in this fashion?

By the way, this reminds me of some of our "fingerspelling keys" for other countries. For example in Spain, they have one fingerspelling "letter" that incorporates contacting the face, plus a handshape and a movement symbol. At first I had no idea how I would fit all those symbols in the tiny little space allotted for one key on the keyboard, but I worked on it, and I was able to "squeeze" all those symbols into one key on the fingerspelling keyboard - it was a tight fit and not perfect but at least in Spain they can type that in one "letter" in one keystroke.

Keep us posted, Mark, as to your progress -
Valerie ':-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Valerie Sutton at the DAC
Deaf Action Committee for SW

SignWriting
mailto:Sutton@SignWriting.org
https://www.SignWriting.org

Center For Sutton Movement Writing
an educational nonprofit organization
Box 517, La Jolla, CA, 92038-0517, USA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Replies Author Date
1059 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Mark Penner Thu  2/18/1999
1061 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Valerie Sutton Thu  2/18/1999
1065 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Mark Penner Fri  2/19/1999
1066 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Valerie Sutton Fri  2/19/1999
1068 terms Joe Martin Fri  2/19/1999
1069 Re: terms John Hill Fri  2/19/1999
1073 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Neil Bauman Fri  2/19/1999
1085 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Michael Everson Sat  2/20/1999
1079 Re: Typing SW in a Japanese Program Mark Penner Sat  2/20/1999

  Message 1054  |  Previous | Next  [ Up Thread ] Message Index