March 22, 1998
MESSAGE TO THE SIGNWRITING EMAIL LIST

SUBJECT: Sign Notation Comparisons

Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1998 12:34:25 -0500
Reply-To: chazzer3@erols.com
Organization: Ecumenicon
To: SignWriting <DAC@SignWriting.org>
Subject: Re: Sign Notation Comparisons

I looked at the encoding process for the ASCII based ASL-writing system last night and it may be a way to act as a bridge between ASCII and Sutton Sign Writing. The linguistic pairing of orientation, location, and movement which is proposed in the ASCII based system is compatible as a descriptive shorthand of Sign Writing, but it is certainly not intuitive to look at and figure out what's going on. It may, however, act as encoding scheme for ASL like systems. I would like to see a comparison using the same set of concepts between Sign Writing and the French system (which I have not yet seen) on line to see what each picks up and how intuitive they are to the "deaf person off the street" who has seen neither one. Given 2 hours of instructions, which will they walk away with being able to read a random page of.

Charles Butler
chazzer3@erols.com

March 20, 1998
MESSAGE TO THE SIGNWRITING EMAIL LIST

For those of you interested in comparing notation systems, check out this
web site by Mike Turniansky:

Mike Turniansky's Home Page
https://www.bcpl.net/~turnip/turnip.html

Mike downloaded our SignWriter shareware, learned how to type with it (grin - he even printed out the manuals!) - and then placed some written signs in SignWriting on his home page.

Mike also wrote those same signs in other notation systems, so it gives the viewer a quick comparison. It is interesting to see the systems side by side :-)

PS. Mike shows beautiful photos of his children at the top of the page. You need to scroll down to the bottom to find the notation comparison.

Have a great day!

Valerie :-)