SignWriting List Archive 1
October 1997 - May 1998

Search by Date Search by Subject

Search Archive 2 Search Archive 3

February 24, 1998
MESSAGE TO THE SIGNWRITING EMAIL LIST

SUBJECT: Transcription

DAC@SignWriting.org

Just a comment....in regards to the English word "transcription"...obviously there are several ways to interpret that word. To some it may mean writing English prose to describe movement. But Charles is very skilled in SignWriting, and has been for more than 15 years. I remember receiving written documents in SignWriting from Charles in the early 1980's. Sometimes he would send me the documents written by hand, and later, I would receive typed documents. He has even attached typed documents (in SignWriting) to his email messages to me.

Once a person is that skilled, using words to describe movement seems laborious and inaccurate. So anyway...the flash cards Charles created were written in SignWriting symbols :-)

Valerie
DAC@SignWriting.org

>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 20:35:37 -0800
>From: SignWriting <DAC@SignWriting.org>
>Subject: Transcription

>Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 02:19:55 -0500
>From: Charles Butler <chazzer3@erols.com>
>Reply-To: chazzer3@erols.com
>Organization: Ecumenicon
>To: DAC@SignWriting.org
>Subject: Reply to Mark Mandel

>No, no, no, the flash card does not have "index finger to the right and forward" >but two symbols, one "an index finger in the proper orientation (forward, edge >up, and pointed to the right)" and "an arrow to the proper direction (forward and >to the right), designating a person not physically present but placed to the right of >the speaker in a conversation to a third party." To write all those words would >take much too long, when a squared off hand and an arrow will do. I teach >Movement Writing with my sign language, so that any sign I do, the student can >transcribe.

>Charles Butler
>chazzer3@erols.com