October 1997 - May 1998

Search by Date Search by Subject

Search Archive 2 Search Archive 3

December 8, 1997
MESSAGE TO THE SIGNWRITING EMAIL LIST

SUBJECT: SignWriting Down-under

Subject: SignWriting Down-under
To: DAC@SignWriting.org
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 06:28:17 +0800 (WST)

Hello Valerie,

Thank you for the correspondence regarding SignWriting and for the videos explaining the technique. My students in Deaf Studies have been intrigued by this method of representing sign language in print. They found the videos very helpful and clear in describing SignWriting, and enjoyed "deciphering" the BSL alphabet script you prepared into English text. ("received" BSL manual alphabet is the same as AUSLAN, apart from a few minor regional and individual idiosyncratic variations).

The next step of trying to compose passages of AUSLAN sign into SignWriting script will have to wait until next year, when classes resume after the long Christmas/New Year vacation. This year's studies conclude this week. In the meantime, I would like to obtain the next training videos and books in preparation for involving the students again in 1998. All agree that SignWriting offers an interesting way to preserve sign language and an exciting means of communication in sign syntax other than by face-to-face contact. It would be hard to devise a more elegant or simpler method. Whether it will be enthusiastically adopted by the Deaf community here is yet to be tested!

The CD-ROM version of the AUSLAN dictionary, "Signs of Australia", was launched this past week. It has some 4000 signs dynamically- presented and, when it is available shortly, I will send you a disk.

I wish you all the best of the season's greetings and the hope for a prosperous and peaceful new year.

Harry Blackmore

Dr. Harry Blackmore
habla@newton.dialix.com.au

Tel: +61 8 9245 1474 Fax: +61 8 9245 1430
Mail: 43 Newborough St., Scarborough, Western Australia 6019

Search by Date
 Search by Subject
Click here to subscribe to the SignWriting List